My cards and prints are availble on Etsy. I'm posting more choices for you every day.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Heart of the City

"Heart of the City" 12 1/2" x 91/2" Watercolor on cotton rag paper $125

Karin Jurick has an interesting blog called Different Stokes for Different Folks, where she regularly posts a photo and challenges artists to do a painting from it. It's very fun and informative to look through the different interpretations. I have been meaning to do this for some time and finally got on board with her cityscape photo. I did the whole thing without the figures, but it didn't feel like me until I thought of the cleaners washing a heart on to the central wall in the composition. I do like to have a little message in my paintings, as you all know.
When I went to post the painting on DSFDF today I found David Larson Evans' submission with wall cleaners washing a peace symbol on the same wall. Yikes!! I know I did not see that painting earlier but it will look like I copied his idea. I almost didn't post mine because of this and then decided it was good if lots of us are thinking about peace and love - it's a universal yearning.

P.S. Dennis didn't see the heart. Did you? or did the title help you see it.

10 comments:

Virginia Hammon said...

What fun! I loved seeing all the variations. There was a balloon against that wall, too. Clearly it called out to be a message board.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I love your color choice here - the purples really add to this a lot. Wonderful work on this challenge!

Autumn Leaves said...

I see the heart! So glad to have found your blog, Leslie. Had to rush right on over when I saw your DSfDF challenge piece. Love the color choices you've used!

Lauren Maurer said...

I love the colors that you used! Great job!

tracie brown said...

Great job Leslie!

dominique eichi said...

Great rendition for DSFDF

Leslie Lee said...

Thanks everyone! We all love applause and it helps keep us going. I'm looking forward to the next challenge and keeping my blog alive.

FitFoodieMegha said...

Hey Leslie, You are extremely talented. Love to be on your blog. I am waiting to see more of your work!

My first ever Glass Painting: Tinkerbell

Ann Rogers said...

Such beautiful soft color choices, great entry!

Debbie Later said...

Nicely done watercolor.